More and More I see personal trainers struggling to make a dollar. They have several clients that they see on a regular basis, but they can't seem to make a good living at what they do.
A close examination reveal a lot about what they are not doing in their business that keeps them from reaching a 6 figure income.
Let me explain....
Personal Training is in fact a business at the end of the day. So we must focus on the business side as much as we do the training side. You can't do one without the other and make the kind of money that will give you "financial freedom".
If making a living as a Personal Trainer is something you want and if making a six figure income is something you desire. Lets take a look at what you need to do get there.
Personal Trainer Steve Hochman gives great info on how to make six figures...
1. The first thing to do is set a goal. How much do you want to make? What kind of personal training business do you want? What's your niche? Is it fat loss, training brides, bootcamps, training seniors..etc.
For some writing their goals down seem to be pointless. Actually this is probably the most important step, as it drives everything that you will be doing in your business! Those that have no visual goals, often do not know what they want to do or where they want to take their business. This leads to a business that is staggering and not generating enough cash to stay alive.
2. Calculate your income. Figure out how much you need to charge each client on a monthly basis to reach your 6 figure goal. Here's a formula to help you determine that:
Your hourly rate x The number of days you train your clients x 52 weeks in a year now divide that by 12 months. That will give you the amount you need to charge your clients monthly. Once you have your end result, determine how many clients you will need paying that amount every month to reach your income goal.
3. EFT Payments, Auto Debit - Set your clients up on auto debit or EFT where you would automatically charge their credit card or checking account every month. You can use software like 1Shoppingcart.com along with Authorize.net to set this up. You can also use Paypal. You should have all your clients sign a contract that commits them to 3 months to a year. (Accepting cash payments and selling small 5-10 training blocks are not good for long term income). If you want to reach a 6 figure income auto debit is the only way to go. With auto debit your customer will still pay you even if they wake up one morning and decide they didn't want to workout for a month or skip a session. So get a contract with auto debit!
4. Leverage Your Time- If you are doing 1 on 1 training. You are probably working way harder than you have to. A great way to leverage your time and make more is with Group Training. Lets use an example, you have 10 clients. You train them all 1 on 1. You charge each one $45. Your making $45 an hour. Not bad. You've made $450 for 10 hours work.
With group training you will see 10 folks in 1 hour and charge them $15 each. Now your making $150 an hour. Do you see where this is going? If you only worked 4 hours you'll make $600. The beauty of group training is you make more while working less!
5. Determine your hours of operation. If you want to work a particular schedule then you need to make sure your in the gym/studio at the hours you want for your schedule. If you want to work from 5am - 12pm you will need to be in the gym at that time. Let folks know your available during those hours.
6.Get referrals- Ask your current clients for referrals. Offer a free training session or a discount when they refer someone that signs up with you. This is a good way to generate new business without the cost of advertising.This will keep your funnel full of cash generating clients.
7.Be a Motivator- Encourage & Motivate your clients. When they make achievements reward them with a free session or certificate of achievement. Let them know you recognize their accomplishment and are proud of them. People love to be recognized when they do something great! This will keep your clients coming back to see you and trying even harder to make themselves and you proud. You may wonder what's this got to do with making 6 figures? Everything! Treat your clients right and they will reward you with referrals and repeat business month after month!
8.Exude Energy - I know sometimes, we get tired and worn out. But it is absolutely important that you show high energy at all times. This may take some acting at times. But the client should always feel you're ready to give a good workout and are excited about doing it. I'm not saying you have to be wild and crazy , I mean be alive, attentive and motivating for your client. This also will keep your clients with you. Boring workouts leads to your clients having a boring time...eventually they get bored half to death and stop coming.When they stop coming so do the referrals and their payments.
9. Get a Website or Blog to promote you and your business. No business today can survive without a website, in my opinion. If you want to make the big bucks you need to open your business up to the masses. The Internet opens up opportunities not available offline. Imagine having a way for current clients and potential clients to find out about you, buy products and get information 24 hours 7 days a week! Your website is like a salesperson that works for you around the clock, even while your on the beach in Tahiti! One of the biggest advantages of taking your business online is..... see #10
10. Build a List. On your site you can collect names and email address of potential clients and current clients that visit your site.( You can use an auto response email service like Aweber to help you manage this process). Over time you will have many names and email address that you can market to over and over again with your newsletters, tips, promotions, specials, new products and more! This is how the Big Money Earners do it. They are constantly in the face of their clients and potential clients via their list with information that attracts people to them! This list will help you create a relationship with people that is built on trust. When people trust you, they will buy from you and use your services again & again! There is big money is list building.
Ok. There you have it! 10 steps to making 6 figures as a Personal Trainer. Start implementing these practices that are used by the most successful personal trainers to generate cash and live a comfortable lifestyle. Stop struggling to make a buck, Just implementing the EFT and Group training alone will catapult your earnings through the roof! So, what are you waiting for? Go get started!
Ready to Make 6 Figures as a Personal Trainer?
Tired of Not Making Money?