If you've ever wondered how to get Doctor's to refer patients/people to you, here's a cool technique for getting doctor referrals almost without asking.
The strategy goes like this:
1. Let your client know at the assessment that you keep doctors updated on progress and if they don't mind, you'll be sending a copy of the assessment to their doctor. (They can simply check yes or no if they want this done or not on their profile, so make sure you add this to your questionnaire). Most clients say yes. I like getting permission up front so the client know what's going on.
2. Send a copy of your client's assessment to their doctor when completed. With that, attach a letter advising the doctor that "Jane Doe" has joined your gym or studio and your sending a copy of assessment for their records. You can include brief information on the type of program you'll be doing with them, info on yourself and business cards. Also , you can welcome the doctor to refer other's to you in your closing paragraph. Keep it brief and simple.
3. Whenever you do an update of your clients assessment send a copy to their doctor, along with a brief outline of improvements and changes from last assessment.
4. Be consistent. Don't start this if you can not follow through. You are establishing credibility with your clients doctor's so don't blow it. This strategy can potentially have several doctor's sending you referrals.
5. Keep your client in the loop. Let clients know when a new assessment has gone out to their doctor detailing progress made. This shows you are very concerned with their health. Also, you separate yourself from other trainers by going the extra mile for your client.
6. When appropriate, be sure to let your client know they should discuss their training with their doctor and to provide you with any additional recommendations from their doctor on training. This helps to establish more credibility for you and shows you are serious about your clients health.
This referral getting technique works well for gaining the attention of doctors, building confidence and trust in your service. It also establishes you as a leader and expert in the doctors eyes. I have also found for clients training because their doctor has advised them to do so, this strategy not only works great but is a value add service for the client.
By keeping your clients doctor updated you establish a report and line of communication with their doctor as well. The doctor gets to "know" you and become very familiar with how you operate. More than likely when the doctor needs to refer their patience for a fitness program they'll be recommending you.
Keep in mind this is a process and you need to build up your credibility. So be patient and don't expect referrals after sending the first assessment. That may happen once in a while, but don't let that be the expectancy. (Sometimes your clients may put in a good word for you that will get the ball rolling a lot faster....but for the most part this is something that needs to be cultivated.)
Use this technique to position yourself as a resource for doctors and start funneling a never ending source of doctor referrals for your fitness business. You'll soon create a buzz in the medical community from your excellent service and attention to detail.